Lowcountry Digital Library
Digitizing and making accessible unique and historic items from institutions across the coastal region of South Carolina
logo
+
Philip Simmons working in his workshop.
“Photograph of Philip Simmons working at anvil with hammer and tongs.”
Photograph from the Philip Simmons Collection held by the Avery Research Center at the College of Charleston.
+
See more!
“Pencil on paper, 28cm x 22cm. Front contains drawings, descriptions and measurements of various architectural details. Back includes additional drawings and measurements of architectural details.”
Pages from The Joseph Mordecai Hirschmann Collection held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
See more!
“Pencil on paper, 28cm x 22cm. Front contains drawings, descriptions and measurements of various architectural details. Back includes additional drawings and measurements of architectural details.”
Pages from The Joseph Mordecai Hirschmann Collection held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
See more!
“Unnumbered Image (5” x 7”): “The Cooper River Bridge from the Mt. Pleasant Shore. This photo taken by the Bridge Company for advertising purposes, and published thru the Associated Press. (Taken about July 7, ‘29.) Photo by Jacobs.”;One 5” x 7” B/W photo.”
Page from the Photographic Record of the Cooper River Bridge held by The Charleston Archive at CCPL.
+
The Lowcountry Digital Library is pleased to announce that we have several new collections online! Please, head over to our website to check them out! Here is another page from one of our new collection: the Alexander Glennie Journal, 1831-1859.
The Alexander Glennie Journal. Page 34.
"Journal kept by Alexander Glennie concerning his activities as rector of All Saints (Episcopal) Church, Waccamaw, South Carolina. Includes a list of plantation chapels (Woodbourne, Laurel Hill, Brookgreen, Oaks, Litchfield, Waverly, Midway, True Blue, Hagley, Fairfield, Sandy Knoll, Cedar Grove, and Mount Arena); the constitution (1832) and minutes (1832-1838) of All Saints Sunday School (an auxiliary of the Diocesan Sunday School Society of South Carolina); and a circular. The bulk of Glennie’s journal contains the names of churches and plantations visited and the names of people (both free and enslaved) for whom he performed marriage, baptism, funeral, and other religious ceremonies/sacrament. Occasional summaries of the number of communicants served and financial support received are also included. A printed circular (1831), "Constitution of the Diocesan Sunday Society School of South-Carolina," is attached to the inside front over of the volume."
Page from the Alexander Glennie Journal, 1831-1859 held by the South Carolina Historical Society.
+
Cuban band.
"A group of musicians posing."
Photograph from the Eola Willis Cuban photograph collection, circa 1895-1910 held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
Egypt Photograph Album, 1925. Page 11.
"This album consists of photographs of Sarah Jane and Gertrude Sanford as they traveled in Egypt, Israel, Syria, and Lebanon."
Scrapbook page from the Egypt Photograph Album, 1925 held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
The Lowcountry Digital Library is pleased to announce that we have several new collections online! For the next few days, we will be posting featured pictures from our new collections. Please, head over to our website to check them out! Today’s featured collection: the Alexander Glennie Journal, 1831-1859.
The Alexander Glennie Journal. Page 2.
“Journal kept by Alexander Glennie concerning his activities as rector of All Saints (Episcopal) Church, Waccamaw, South Carolina. Includes a list of plantation chapels (Woodbourne, Laurel Hill, Brookgreen, Oaks, Litchfield, Waverly, Midway, True Blue, Hagley, Fairfield, Sandy Knoll, Cedar Grove, and Mount Arena); the constitution (1832) and minutes (1832-1838) of All Saints Sunday School (an auxiliary of the Diocesan Sunday School Society of South Carolina); and a circular. The bulk of Glennie’s journal contains the names of churches and plantations visited and the names of people (both free and enslaved) for whom he performed marriage, baptism, funeral, and other religious ceremonies/sacrament. Occasional summaries of the number of communicants served and financial support received are also included. A printed circular (1831), “Constitution of the Diocesan Sunday Society School of South-Carolina,” is attached to the inside front over of the volume.”
Page from the Alexander Glennie Journal, 1831-1859 held by the South Carolina Historical Society.
+
The Lowcountry Digital Library is pleased to announce that we have several new collections online! For the next few days, we will be posting featured pictures from our new collections. Please, head over to our website to check them out! Today’s featured collection: White Pines Series of Architectural Monographs Collection.
Photographs from the White Pines Series of Architectural Monographs. Photograph 23. This particular photograph can be found in The Charm of Charleston: A New World City of Old World Memories on page 6. Captioned: “Meeting Street-St.Michael’s Church and South Carolina Society Hall. Charleston, South Carolina.”
“This collection of gelatin silver photographs by Kenneth Clark consists of the original prints that were reproduced in three issues of the White Pine Series of Architectural Monographs, published by Russell F. Whitehead. The series was intended to provide “intimate treatises of the architecture of the American colonies of the early Republic presented with well ordered completeness, to further a broader understanding and to create a permanent record of Early American architecture.” In 1928, five issues highlighted Charleston architecture. The photographs feature Charleston buildings, street scenes, views, and architectural details. They appeared in three of the five Charleston issues: “The Charm of Charleston: A New World City of Old World Memories” (vol. XIV, no. 2), “Some Charleston Mansions” (vol. XIV, no. 4), and “The Edwards-Smyth House” (vol. XIV, no.6).”
Photograph from the Photographs from the White Pines Series of Architectural Monographs held by the Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation.
+
The Lowcountry Digital Library is pleased to announce that we have several new collections online! For the next few days, we will be posting featured pictures from our new collections. Please, head over to our website to check them out! Today’s featured collection: The Gertrude Sanford Legendre Papers, 1844-1996.
Gertrude Legendre OSS Scrapbook, 1944. Page 14.
"This scrapbook is comprised of letters, photographs, newspaper clippings, and other documents related to Gertrude Legendre’s work with the Office of Strategic Services in England and France and her subsequent internment as an American prisoner of war in Germany."
Scrapbook page from the Gertrude Sanford Legendre Papers, 1844-1996 held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
Some of our favorite items at the Lowcountry Digital Library are the cross written letters. This is an example of cross writing from the Barnwell Family Papers collection.
354. Robert Woodward Barnwell to Unknown — December, 1855.
Letter from the Barnwell Family Papers collection held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
"A New Map of Palestine or the Holy Land," circa 1867.
Map from the William A. Rosenthall Judaica Collection - Prints and Photographs collection held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
See more!
"Golden Plover (Pluvialis dominica)."
Slide from the John Henry Dick Collection held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
Francine Ajzensztark and Laddie Lefer, 1949.
“This 1949 photograph was taken in New York and shows Francine and her cousin, Laddie Lefer. Francine came to America before her fiance, Harry Taylor, who had broken his leg.”
Photograph from the Francine Ajzensztark Taylor Papers, circa 1913-1985 held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
Our home campus, College of Charleston, welcomes returning students this week!
Porters Lodge.
“Porters Lodge, 66 George St. This gate house on the original main campus, designed by E.B. (Edward Brickell) White, was built in 1850 to house the school’s porter or custodian.”
Photograph from the College of Charleston Buildings and Grounds Photograph Collection held by the College of Charleston Libraries.
+
Alice Paul and Anita Pollitzer at Susan B. Anthony’s grave.
“Alice Paul and Anita Pollitzer pictured at the grave of Susan B. Anthony, not dated. Black and white photograph.”
Photograph from the Anita Pollitzer Family Papers held by the South Carolina Historical Society.